The countdown is on for this year’s Sheep Breeders Round Table
There are just seven-weeks to go until the 2021 Sheep Breeders Round Table (SBRT), online event takes place this year between Monday 15 and Friday 19 November. The event is free of charge and links for registration can be found on the AHDB website: https://ahdb.org.uk//sheep-breeders-round-table-online-conference
SBRT is an industry initiative, with collaboration from joint levy-boards; AHDB Beef & Lamb, AgriSearch, Hybu Cig Cymru – Meat Promotion Wales (HCC) and Quality Meat Scotland (QMS) and the National Sheep Association (NSA). It is open to anyone with an interest in sheep production and attracts a varied audience of farmers, breeders, researchers and industry representatives.
The programme will run over a week, opening with a lunchtime session on Monday 15 November followed by four evening sessions, each hosted by a different levy board. The NSA will conclude the event programme with a Friday lunchtime session.
A range of international speakers, breeders and commercial farmers will join each session to provide open, honest, first-hand experience from their involvement in the various projects.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Sharon McIntyre, Genetic Evaluation Manager for Beef and Lamb New Zealand working closely with SIL
- Dr Nicola Lambe, Sheep Geneticist from SRUC will discuss how the CT scanning service benefits sheep breeding businesses
- Dr John McEwan, a principal scientist at AgResearch in New Zealand specialising in sheep genomics
- Professor Eric Morgan from Queen’s University summarising the first year of a European Innovation project looking at implementing TST (targeted selective treatments) of Anthelmintics on farms
- Dr John Gilliland OBE, Devenish, discussing a European Innovation project to accelerate livestock’s pathway to net carbon zero
- Denis Gautier, Institut de l'Élevage, explaining how ‘The Digital Farm’ in France evaluates innovative technology for breeders and commercial sheep farmers.
Click HERE to view the full programme and register for the online events
The committee intends to return to the traditional three-day face-to-face SBRT conference next year between Friday 18 and Sunday 20 November 2022. Please save the date in advance to avoid disappointment.
Programme of events:
Monday 15 November 12:00 – 13:30. Session hosted by AHDB.
Back to basics: A practical guide on why and how to use EBVs within your commercial flock
Monday 15 November 19:00 – 21:00. Session hosted by AHDB.
Breeding more efficient ewes
Tuesday 16 November 19:00 – 21:00. Session hosted by Hybu Cig Cymru – Meat Promotion Wales (HCC).
Session 1 - Hill Ram Scheme – adding value to the hill flock
Session 2 - How utilising genomic data can support improvements in maternal traits
Wednesday 17 November 19:00 – 21:00. Session hosted by Quality Meat Scotland (QMS).
Session 1 - Terminal Sire Breeding and the role of CT Scanning
Session 2 - Marketing of sheep during Covid and beyond
Thursday 18 November 19:00 – 21:00. Session hosted by Agrisearch.
Future-proofing your sheep business, to include:
- RamCompare feed efficiency study
- Lessons from 15 years of on-farm maternal sheep breeding studies
- Targeted selective treatment of anthelmintics
- Accelerating ruminant carbon zero (ARCZero)
Friday 19 November 12:00 – 13:30. Session hosted by National Sheep Association (NSA).
Breeding sheep for the future – genetics to meet the requirements of farmers, society and policymakers